Monday, March 4, 2019

New Year’s Resolutions Update

I have been feeling out of sorts lately. As things with my dad’s health spun out of control, I tried to stick to my resolutions as much as I could in February hoping they’d help me keep my sanity. I did better with some than with others:

  • Blog – I did not blog in February but this is post number two for March (and both are about things that happened in February), so I think I’m alright.
  • Work out – I did 19 workouts in February, which is better than my goal of 16 per month. I really needed the exercise in February because the whole month was incredibly stressful. It was so tempting to just veg out at night but I somehow managed to convince myself to do something more often than not. I maintained the two weekly yoga workouts with the Down Dog app. I did Beginner 2 level throughout February and today decided it’s time to try Intermediate 1, which was hard but I powered through it. I love my yoga workouts but also crave variety, so I have been exploring new and interesting ways to exercise to avoid boredom. My other workouts were usually barre. Have you guys tried barre? It’s a ballet type of workout but it’s really good and I am enjoying it. There are a ton of free barre classes of varying length and difficulty on youtube and I am totally taking advantage. I also started doing the Johnson and Johnson 7-minute workout, and so far so good. The workout is pretty good but 7 minutes just doesn’t seem enough, so I doubled it the first time I did it and tripled it yesterday, which was intense but in a good way. I completed my push-up challenge – yup, that’s right, I went from 5 to 50 pushups in 30 days. I still can’t believe it. That’s a big deal for me. Ramping up to about 37 was unbelievably no biggie but going up from there was whew, hard! When I got to 45, I was really struggling and my form was not as good as it should have been. The last couple of days, I couldn’t complete the number of push-ups I needed to do all at once and needed a brief breather for the last 5-10 push-ups. But I finished the challenge and that’s such a morale booster. It made me think I can do anything! I did gain strength that I don’t want to lose but didn’t really think about what I would do after I got to 50. I have been doing about 30 push-ups each day since I finished the challenge until I figure out what I want to do. Because I have been working out pretty regularly, I was hoping I’d lose a couple pounds in February but haven’t. Boo. I am trying to not let that get to me and continue to work out.
  • Eat less sugar – I did so-so on the sugar front. I am not sure why I decided to start this challenge on February 1 – my dad’s and my son’s birthday are in the first half of the month and so is our wedding anniversary, so I only lasted 10 days without sugar. The second two-week period went better. I didn’t eat any sugar at all. I will try to keep this eat-sugar-once-every-couple-of-weeks thing going. The plan was to start a low/no-carb challenge on March 1 but haven’t yet. Maybe tomorrow. . .
  • Declutter –I have been decluttering little by little as I have time and it’s been good. I mean it’s time-consuming and I am still the only one in the house doing it but it has a calming and almost meditative effect, which I really like. It’s like playing clothes origami. As I smooth out the wrinkles from clothes and fold them in neat rectangles, I imagine I am smoothing out the “wrinkles” in my life and I find that thought very soothing. I have now KonMarie-d all of our dressers, which gave me a sense of being in control during an otherwise very hard and stressful time.
  • Learn Arabic – I am chugging along with Rosetta Stone. I did find a few resources on the Arabic alphabet and that has been helpful. I still can’t really read but have now learned most of the letters, which I think is good. My progress is slow but it’s better than nothing and I plan to keep at it.

That’s it for now. How are you guys doing with your resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page