Friday, October 21, 2011

A Sight For Sore Eyes…

So we’ve been in Hindi for almost 7 weeks now. We can read and are starting to get into the weeds of Hindi grammar. We still can’t say much because we know only one tense (Present Habitual) and our vocabulary is pretty limited but we are getting there – slowly but surely.

In an effort to expand our Hindi vocabulary I decided to watch as many Bollywood movies as I possibly could. Paul sort of agreed to watch with me but we soon realized that most of the highly rated Bollywood movies on Netflix were 3+ hours long. Paul was not going to watch a 3+hour long movie, so the first time we looked until we found something shorter. I don’t remember the name of the first movie we saw but it was not worth it. It was way not what we expected. It was mostly in English, had no dance numbers and was about wife swapping – very weird.

The second time we sat down to watch a Bollywood movie I thought we’d try one of the longer ones, so I picked Jodha Akbar a historical drama (made in 2007), which I thought would help us not only improve our Hindi but also better understand Indian culture. The only problem was it was 3 hours and 40 minutes. Paul fell asleep after the first 30 minutes, so I watched the rest alone.

To be perfectly honest, I didn’t expect much but boy, was I pleasantly surprised. I did learn a few new Hindi words and a thing or two about Indian culture and history but better than that (and I mean way better) was this:

Hubba, hubba!

You’re welcome, ladies! His name is Hrithik Roshan and he plays the Mughal Emperor Akbar (the male lead). When I saw that scene I was all Ooooh la la…

Is he hot or is he hot? I don’t know about you but I can watch that scene until I am blue in the face… (I may be turning Avatar-ish hue already, ha!)

So, yeah, I have a crush on the guy. Oooopsies! I know, I know, it’s been a couple of years since I was in high school. I shouldn’t be having crushes anymore, right? I thought that when you pass the age of 25 and/or have a kid or two, the part of your brain responsible for crushes dies. Apparently not. Now I am the butt of all kinds of jokes around our house... Whatevs…

If there are guys reading this – do not despair for the female lead (Jodha Akbar) is none other than Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, the most beautiful woman in the world, according to many. Here’s a little something for you, guys:

Jodhaa Akbar, Hrithik Roshan,Aishwarya Rai,Sonu Sood,Kulbhushan Kharbanda,Suhasini Mulay,Raza Murad,Punam Sinha,Rajesh Vivek,Pramod Moutho,Ila Arun,Surendra Pal,Visshwa Badola,Prathmesh Mehta,Shaji Chaudhary,Manava Naik,Disha Vakani,Abeer Abrar,Indrajit Sarkar,Aman Dhaliwal,Nikitin Dheer,Pradeep Sharma,Balraj,Sudhanshu Hakku,Digvijay Purohit,Uri,Sayed Badrul Hasan,Dilnaaz Irani,Tejpal Singh Rawat,Shehzor Ali,Ulhas Barve,Jassi Singh,Raju Pandit,Bharat Kumar,Rajiv Sehgal,Gurmmeet Singh

So, though it is long, the movie is a feast for the eyes and ears. The costumes and scenery are amazing, the music and dance numbers – lovely, and the plot - very interesting. According to some reviews Akbar’s character is depicted accurately, while Jodha’s not so much but even if that’s the case I’ve forgiven the movie creators and totally, wholeheartedly recommend the movie.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love Bollywood movies! Glad you are finding a fun way to practice your Hindi. Since they do tend to run very long you could always join in on the dancing and consider it study time as well as aerobics class. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In dying to see this movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Cathy...Chris was reading, but I watched the video. WOW. Hot indeed.

    ReplyDelete

 
Locations of visitors to this page