Saturday, November 17, 2012

Reunited

It’s been more than a week since I got back to Delhi and things have been so hectic that I haven’t had a chance to blog. But let me tell you, being back has been wonderful! This was the longest I had ever been apart from my husband and my daughter and being together these last few days has made me appreciate even more the fact that I was posted in Delhi. It wasn’t a given and it’s such a relief. We were apart for Halloween and that was hard. I sent costumes and candy and Paul and Nia appreciated those but it wasn’t the same. I hope we never have to be apart like that - not very likely in this career, I know but a girl can hope, right?

So we have been busy reconnecting and doing the things we missed out on for two months, like hanging out around the house:

IMG_1808

Enjoying the nice weather in India  (picture below courtesy of the lovely Dani from HotPot):

IMG_1799

Spotting elephants in the neighborhood:

PB110002 

Celebrating Indian culture and customs  - in the picture to the left below the kids are making rangoli, decorative designs, made using colored sand, rice, flour, flower petals, etc. to welcome Hindu deities, luck and prosperity into the home on important Hindu festivals such as Diwali. Our driver brought colored sand and patterns for the kids, otherwise rangoli are usually made by hand as is the case in the design to the right. It was made by people who clearly know what they are doing – their gorgeous peacock rangoli won this year’s embassy rangoli competition:

IMG_3871 PB090031

I also started work in the best way possible – with an awesome party for Diwali, at which Paul and I got to wear our brand new Indian outfits. I know I look scary in that picture but such is life... Chutney and I had landed from the US after our 20-hour sleepless journey at 1 a.m. that morning. We made it home by 3 a.m. and I managed to get a couple of hours of shuteye before I had to get up and get ready for my first day at work. I was lucky it was a short day due to Diwali followed by a 4-day weekend (for Veterans’ Day and Diwali).

PB090029

I am still getting used to being back at work. The jetlag is now gone but it’s still an adjustment after being in training for two months and home with the kids for two years prior to that. It’s great though and I am not complaining. On the contrary, I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to serve my country and be with my family.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! Glad you got back safely -- the pictures of you all together again are awesome! The holidays should be even more awesome because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you are enjoying (consular?) work! Glad you are reunited.

    ReplyDelete

 
Locations of visitors to this page